RYA Recognised Training Centres (TCs) are required to have a welfare policy which is checked as part of their annual inspection. There are several good reasons for doing this:
- to safeguard children, both on and off the water
- to assure parents that their children are as safe at our organisation as they are when taking part in any other sport or leisure activity
- to raise awareness amongst all of our members, volunteers or employees so that we know what to do if we are concerned about a child, whether the concern relates to the child’s welfare at our site or outside the sport
- to protect coaches, instructors, officials or volunteer helpers by giving them some practical, common sense guidelines to avoid placing themselves in situations where they are open to allegations which could seriously damage their lives and careers
- to protect the organisation, by showing that we have taken ‘all reasonable steps’ to provide a safe environment.